Monday, May 09, 2011

Mushroom Soup

My kiddo LOVES mushroom soup, and he's been asking me to make him some since he discovered it at a resturaunt last Fall.  I tried this recipe, and I really liked it.

8 oz fresh mushrooms
2 Tablespoons onions, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons butter
2-3 Tablespoons flour (separated)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup light cream or evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Cut the mushrooms into slices.  Melt butter in large frying pan.  Add in the onions, garlic, and mushrooms.  Cook until onions are soft.  Blend in 2 Tablespoons flour and stir.  Add in the chicken broth and heat until slightly thickened while stirring frequently.  Stir cream with additional 1 Tablespoon flour.  Add in cream to soup.  Heat to thicken while stirring frequently.  Serve and enjoy!

The changes I made were using 1/2 n 1/2 instead of cream.  It required an extra Tablespoon of flour to it because it's not quite as thick as cream.  I'd also add just a dash of nutmeg.  I love the flavor it adds to the soup, but to me it was just a little too strong. Overall, great recipe.  I have a feeling we'll be eating this again!

No comments:

Followers

Contributors